2012 Hyundai Accent SE Five-Door, Drivers Log Car Review

The best course of action to take sometimes isn't clear until you've listed and considered your alternatives. The following paragraphs should help clue you in to what the experts think is significant.
2012 Hyundai Accent Hyundai
The 2012 Hyundai Accent

By: Mark Vaughn on 8/18/2011

Related Articles

  • 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS, Drivers Log Car Review
  • 2011 Honda Fit Sport, Drivers Log Car Review
  • 2012 Hyundai Veloster stickers at $18,060
  • Hyundai prospect products: New entries look for upscale niches
SENIOR WEST COAST EDITOR MARK VAUGHN: When I primary saw the marathon blue 2012 Hyundai Accent SE so as to I was leaving to drive I thought, “Who's car is that?” I was hypothetical to get an Accent, one of persons minute tin cans as of Korea purchased by persons desperate to repair completely credit. Yet, present in front of me was come again? looked similar to a slightly additional rounded-off Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix-size wagon thing. Last occasion I drove a Hyundai Accent it was downright dinky, and it certain as heck was not a wagon.

Did I say wagon? Hyundai, and each additional carmaker in the earth by means of genuine a configuration, strong-minded it a “five-door,” construct is obviously a additional exciting moniker, evoking the kayaking/hang-gliding/pool-snorkling lively way of life so as to as,at the same occasion as owners no hesitation lead. Wagons are come again? by means of grandparents drove in Mad Men.

Of course, I remembered, the “five-door” debuted at the New York auto demonstrate in April, after that to the “four-door” (what's incorrect by means of “sedan” and “wagon?” Don't get me started.). I was preparation a family trip the pending daily so as to counting contain to house two adults, two kids, one dog and a fit pile of stuff. I had assumed we'd get our Volkswagen van. But at what time I saw how big the Accent was, I changed my plans. Sure enough, approach Friday following work, the Accent five-door stood packed, fueled and prepared to go. No one complained, not still the dog.

That's since the EPA classifies petroleum as a compact, and Hyundai proudly mark out so as to the Accent five-door's 21.2 cubic get second-hand to of cargo region is additional supposed so as to of the Matrix, the Audi A3, the Dodge Caliber and the five-door versions of the Subaru Impreza and the Mazda 3.

First leg of the journey, finished at a freeway standard of 80 mph, El Accent went 138.8 on foot and returned 32.2 mpg, additional supposed its metropolis rating of 30 mpg but significantly fewer supposed its highway rating of 40 mpg. I was obviously heavy too quick and was too loaded (that is, the car was loaded, I was sober as a concours judge). The next leg was 210.2 on foot of mountain heavy on extremely curvy roads in second, come into view and site gears. That returned 30.5 mpg. The previous 190.5-mile tankful, finished on flat, straight highways and freeways, be hypothetical to contain person's name closer to the EPA's 40-mpg shape but was merely 34.0. Driving a steady 55 mph on flat, straight superhighways counting certainly consequence in a improved highway figure, I figured.

In the mountains, it was as fun as no substance which in the compact and subcompact classes except perhaps a Honda Fit or a Mazda 3, but I haven't driven a Fit in fairly a as,at the same time as so it strength surpass still so as to watermark of tossability. Second and come into view gears now too far separately for the majority of the wonderful I was negotiating. There was not a great deal torque obtainable underneath 3,000 rpm at the senior elevations, despite the complicated 1.6-liter, gasoline direct-injection four-cylinder engine by means of CVVT (imagine GDI in a car so as to costs $15,925). The authority and torque wonderful did broaden out a small as we got closer to sea level.

The previous day I had it I put the Racelogic box on it and gave it a few launches to see consequences it was quick. When I primary drove petroleum car, I consideration the grasp engagement of the six-speed physical was awkward; it quick a as,at the same time as preceding to I might do it smoothly. But following a melody I was second-hand to it and it wasn't a problem. Engaging the grasp at concerning 4,500 rpm by means of a high-quality quantity of wheelspin seemed the quickest way off the line. I reserved receiving a slight bog following the 1-2 shift and as a consequence probably lost concerning three-tenths of a second.

I got a few 9.0-second 0-60s but you, by means of by means of improved technique, determination certainly get eager on the eights since you rule. One obsession so as to did assist was so as to next cog was high-quality for concerning 64 mph. That's a extended gear. I had noticed previous as,at the same time as heavy from side to side persons tight mountain wonderful so as to the distance recognized by next and come into view cog was too far; I had to stay rowing up and down. But at what time leaving for a 0-to-60-mph time, I might use the ,whole tachometer--the soft redline is 6,750 rpm and the firm redline is 7,500 rpm. That's a heck of an engine for the money.

I trust that what you've read so far has been informative. The following section should go a long way toward clearing up any uncertainty that may remain.

Then I stomped on the 10.1-inch front vented, 10.3-inch back solid discs and hauled the entire obsession downward as of 60 mph in an completely sensible 128.4 feet. A few existence preceding to I had too stomped on not any at what time transfer stopped suddenly on I-5, and it did a fine job of attract the completely loaded rig healthy small of the shiny Ford Edge in front of me.

Anyway, a week's value of high-speed hauling complete me love petroleum thing. I be inclined to love cars so as to are efficient. Yes, so as to construct me a communist weirdo. But who can quarrel by means of a car so as to determination do all of petroleum and stickers for $16,685? The Accent five-door had additional normal skin supposed Hugh Hefner's the majority new spouse: AM/FM/XM/CD by means of six speakers, steering-wheel-mounted controls for the stereo and cruise control, Bluetooth, authority all and still fog lights and a back spoiler. All of so as to for $16,000. The GS five-door starts at $14,000, and Hyundai is motionless offering so as to 10-year powertrain warranty. What's not to love?

2012 Hyundai Accent SE Five-Door

Base Price: $16,555

As-Tested Price: $16,685

Drivetrain: 1.6-liter I4; FWD, six-speed automatic

Output: 138 hp @ 6,300 rpm, 123 lb-ft @ 4,850 rpm

Curb Weight: 2,430 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 34/32.2 mpg

Options: Carpeted ground mats ($95); iPod cable ($35)



Get additional car news, reviews and view each day: Sign up to contain the Autoweek Daily Drive similar to correct to by means of inbox.

Of course, it's impossible to put everything about BMW into just one article. But you can't deny that you've just added to your understanding about BMW, and that's time well spent.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...