2012 Porsche Cayman R, Drivers Log Car Review

Do you ever feel like you know just enough about BMW to be dangerous? Let's see if we can fill in some of the gaps with the latest info from BMW experts.
The 2012 Porsche Cayman R The 2012 Porsche Cayman R.

The 2012 Porsche Cayman R The 2012 Porsche Cayman R.

The 2012 Porsche Cayman R The 2012 Porsche Cayman R.

The 2012 Porsche Cayman R The 2012 Porsche Cayman R.

The 2012 Porsche Cayman R The 2012 Porsche Cayman R.

By: Mac Morrison on 10/14/2011

Related Articles

  • 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS, Drivers Log Car Review
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid, an AutoWeek Drivers Log Car Review
  • Porsche GT3 RS 3.8: A day in the life
  • 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder Car Review
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne S
SENIOR MOTORSPORTS EDITOR: As I steered the Cayman R out of Autoweek's parking lot on a sunny Friday evening, I thought, "Why am I sweating?" I hysterics petroleum much: It was not since of the view of organization firm for the primary occasion in the the majority performance-oriented, factory-built Cayman to date. It's a rapid car but far as of a scary one.

The air was amazing full-bore in,within the RS-like, Alcantara-trimmed cockpit, but still, by means of one and a semi eyes on the road, my correct directory finger hunted approximately desperately annoying to place a button so as to counting give relief.

It came up unfilled as I pulled to the surface of the street, hoping the consideration so as to had popped eager on my skull was wrong. But I hysterics it wasn't, and the casement sticker I fished as of the glovebox long-established my thought, in black and pallid on the car's catalog of options: "Delete air conditioning . . . $0."

%$E#! Oh, and gee, thanks, Porsche, for existence form so type as to not accuse for the privilege.

Seventy-five degrees, no problem. But the on-board ambient hotness function displayed 95, and I contain zero hesitation concerning its accuracy, let unaccompanied the humidity so as to accompanied the reading. Driving was similar to forging a weapon on an anvil bottomless in,within a foundry, by means of no cool air on the horizon for days.

I pedaled onward by means of windows lowered, and you do not need race-driver sensitivity to sense the improvements Porsche delivers to the Cayman by means of the R package.

After heavy loads of on foot in the Boxster Spyder--the Cayman R's roadster sibling--last summer, I predictable a similarly firm ride as of the nonadjustable game suspension. So I was astonished to discover myself thinking so as to the Cayman R rides additional comfortably supposed come again? I recall as a average brutal knowledge in the Spyder. On top of that, I drove the Spyder on California's nice roads and the R on Detroit's asphalt ointment graters, yet the impression of a improved ride remains. A rapid create sure by means of Porsche's North American put of work returned a respond so as to supposed no, I did not picture this, and so as to present is a dissimilarity recognized by the two. My basis is checking for specifics on the settings and the whys but long-established my suspicion so as to the Spyder's be small of of a set top mandates maybe extra bracing and a setup so as to too the distance end to end of to genuine a cruel experience.

Oh, the R is motionless an incredibly rigid car, and it is not for the high-profile set so as to name completely Cayman more frequently supposed not for cruising town on a Friday night. It holds the street by means of still additional of Porsche's normal hold and precision, and by means of additional unenthusiastic front camber, it large pointy and very communicative in by means of hands.

If you find yourself confused by what you've read to this point, don't despair. Everything should be crystal clear by the time you finish.

The engine, tuned lightly to bring 10 hp additional supposed it fake in the Cayman S, construct huge noises, particularly by means of the throttle set to sport-plus and the game exhaust activated, together via buttons on the middle stack. I was impressed by means of now how a great deal of a dissimilarity present is by means of the exhaust flaps in the clouds open; the sound weapons as of typical Porsche automatic noise to a bottomless and loud bark. A must-have option.

The R's throttle reply is so good, the chassis so able and the exhaust note so amusing that, in a rational state, I discover it firm to quarrel so as to I counting still require any additional presentation supposed petroleum for still the the majority forceful of street driving. I be acquainted with a lot of of our readers couldn't appreciate the relative be small of of love for the Audi R8 Spyder featured recently in Drivers Log, but petroleum Porsche puts it in ideal perspective. For semi the money, I discover it substantially additional fun and exciting to drive; maximum horsepower is not forever come again? it's about. Given a option recognized by a car so as to content imposing numbers but large rather germ-free versus a car that, in spite of of numbers, ,court case a additional involving experience? It's not still a option for me, it's an absolute.

Personally, I counting contain still additional fun in a Cayman R ready by means of a six-speed physical broadcast rather supposed the paddle-shifted Porsche dual-clutch petroleum examination car arrived with. However, so as to didn't discontinue me as of banging up and downward from side to side the gearbox, keeping the engine in its the majority excellent rev variety at all times. My recorded petroleum mileage confirms this.

You might live by means of the R as a road-only car, but after that you strength as healthy buy a normal Cayman. This account demands path time, and I regret not existence form in a place throughout my stint by means of it to provide it come again? it needs.

Still, petroleum is not a pure contest car, so I remained angry as I sweated the on foot and corners away, still although I did so at energizing speed. Whoever speced petroleum obsession is a maniac. No AC--but it has a radio? And cupholders? What type of road-racing car has a radio and cupholders? That's right--none. But the alternative chooser was motionless hard-core sufficient to delete the AC? I'm certain the climate scheme efficiently the the majority out of persons inquisitiveness items, but seriously, might I tell the dissimilarity in presentation if I back-to-backed an R by means of and with no AC? Signs tip to no.

But after that petroleum happened: After two existence heavy the R and grumbling to myself in boiling heat, I taxied a pal to the airport. I was in jeans and sneakers, my passenger in shorts and flip-flops. And as he complained frequently concerning the in,within temp, I performer as,at the same occasion as unlikely words approach as of my mouth: "Well, you be acquainted with something? It's not actually that bad, actually. . ."

Yup, there's certainly a big dissimilarity recognized by a hot car and a hot car. This Cayman R is both. Funny come again? you'll put up by means of at what time so as to is the case.

2012 Porsche Cayman R

Base Price: $67,250

As-Tested Price: $75,900

Drivetrain: 3.4-liter H6; RWD, seven-speed dual-clutch sequential manual

Output: 330 hp @ 7,400 rpm, 273 lb-ft @ 4,750 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,000 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 23/18.6 mpg

Options: Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) dual-clutch broadcast ($3,660); game Porsche exhaust scheme ($2,810); game chrono scheme ($1,480); sound wrap up advantage by means of storage space and cupholder ($700)



Enjoy come again? you now read? Get more: Sign up to contain the Autoweek Daily Drive similar to correct to by means of inbox.

Hopefully the sections above have contributed to your understanding of BMW. Share your new understanding about BMW with others. They'll thank you for it.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...