2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition, an AutoWeek Drivers Log Car Review

This interesting article addresses some of the key issues regarding BMW. A careful reading of this material could make a big difference in how you think about BMW.
2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition Photo by: David Arnouts 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition. Photo by David Arnouts.

Published on 6/17/2011

Related Articles

  • 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, Long-Term Car Review Introduction
  • 2011 Mazda 2 Touring, an AutoWeek Drivers Log Car Review
  • Mazda CX-5 to bow at Frankfurt motor demonstrate by means of SkyActiv technology
  • 2011 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring, an AutoWeek Drivers Log Car Review
  • What we drive: 1994 Mazda RX-7 R2
  • Mazda Miata roadster passes 900,000-built milestone
  • 2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring PRHT
ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: This 2011 Mazda MX-5 is the primary adaptable I've person's name in petroleum summer, and the weather was perfect. So I jumped in, undid the latch and pushed the button to stow the authority hardtop and I was off in petroleum fancy Miata by means of a cost to match. Seeing a Miata cost additional supposed $30,000 fake create you pause, but to be fair, present is a lot here, counting the hardtop, leather seats and seat warmers.

Visually, the hardtop extra the Miata a buttoned-up look, but I was a small astonished so as to it didn't muffle out the wind noise better. It's motionless fairly loud in the cabin by means of the top up. It doesn't actually matter, though, since petroleum car is meant to be driven by means of the top down.

The car large nimble, and the mixture of the six-speed physical broadcast and high-revving, 2.0-liter four-cylinder create petroleum car flat-out fun. There's polite bound off the line, and the rapid steering reply complete petroleum car ideal for dodging Michigan potholes and maneuvering from side to side traffic.

Overall, petroleum is a fun small car by means of nice features. However, the cost fake appear steep, and it's a far cry as of the typical Miata concept of existence form fun and affordable.

EXECUTIVE EDITOR--AUTOWEEK.COM BOB GRITZINGER: I counting love to own one of as,at the same occasion as small roadsters someday--the car is pure enthusiast fun to drive--quick enough, agile in the extreme, stylish with no existence form a snobbish, sensibly accommodating, and automatically perfect. It's the type of car so as to I'd be content organization from side to side the gears and from side to side the similar series of wonderful all day long, with no still exhausting of the exercise.

Everything falls perfectly eager on put for my five-foot-10-inch frame--clutch, steering wheel, shifter at precisely the care for wanted to actuate every as wanted with no any additional arrive at wanted and with no emotion in any way encumbered. This is a small thing, but I be grateful for the door-panel bottle/cupholders as a safe put to put by means of onboard liquids with no predictable the forearm/elbow space aft of the shifter.

Did I mention so as to I by no means put the top down? I exhausted my overnight in the car throughout the tallness of one of Michigan's newest deluges, so I was glad to contain the retractable hardtop solidly in place. This was particularly factual at what time easing my way from side to side side-street flooding at what time big trucks and tall SUVs couldn't be worried by means of my careful pace and blew by in the bound water, taste waves big sufficient to swamp a rowboat. The MX-5 survived.

Though purists strength opt for a soft-top MX-5, I can see the worth of the adaptable hardtop in security and security, quieter roof-up heavy and improved roof-up exterior appearance. I'm certain it adds heaviness and raises the middle of gravity a bit, and adds to the cost, but if not you diagram to autocross by means of MX-5, persons downsides are negligible.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: For the history pair of years, I've establish myself receiving out of each MX-5 so as to I drive saying so as to the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky didn't place a chance. Sure, persons General Motors crop had the standout looks, but it couldn't grasp a candle to the refined drive excellence of the Mazda. At least, that's in my opinion.

Everything on petroleum car is so healthy tuned as of the steering reply and feedback, suspension, clutch-pedal get up and slick-shifting physical gearbox. It's firm not to drive the MX-5 firm since the car seemingly demands you to. Wringing out all 167 hp as of the 2.0-liter four-cylinder and the improved induction sound of the engine is obvious and enjoyable to perceive sound as of at the back the wheel.

This exacting tester is ready by means of the power-retractable hardtop, construct is a high-quality piece. Operation is rapid and fake add a number of extra insulation as of sound and the rudiments for additional practicality. It fake add 82 pounds in excess of the soft top, but the car motionless behaves similar to a Miata be hypothetical to still by means of so as to heaviness up high.

Simply put, heavy a Miata is a pleasure--top-down on a sunny afternoon cruise or terrorizing a restricted autocross course. Throughout the years, Mazda hasn't diluted the formula for the Miata too much. Sure, present now a number of concessions to get a small bigger, but all belongings considered, it's motionless a lightweight. I hope a additional influential Mazdaspeed account stay at petroleum time soon.

NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: With the weather finally previous up in Michigan, I was thrilled to get petroleum 2011 Mazda MX-5 for a night, and I logged substantial on foot on it. The hardtop attention sharp, purists be damned, and hardness the button and pushing a button is a snap. This black paint job kind of toughens petroleum Mazda mite up a bit, and it is abundance good-looking to my eyes.

The six-speed is forever a joy, organization from side to side the existence and existence form rewarded by means of an interactive, lively knowledge so as to Mazda and few route deliver. The center is well-laid out; it's a little car so all is inside reach. I'm concerning five-foot-nine, so petroleum roadster hysterics me well.

Sometimes the most important aspects of a subject are not immediately obvious. Keep reading to get the complete picture.

The steering has a solid sense to it, and the chassis is rock-solid. With now 2,600 pounds on its bones, the Miata, still in hardtop form, is motionless lithe and lean. The armed up is strong, charitable petroleum car abundance of gusto.

Convertibles are easy pleasures, and petroleum car rapidly a pure knowledge in so as to respect for enthusiasts.

ART DIRECTOR TARA KLEIN: I had the pleasure of heavy petroleum 2011 Mazda MX-5 on one of Michigan's nicest weekends petroleum year. This compact adaptable rapidly all a intended needs--style, convenience and plenty fun.

The luminous black metallic paint glittered in the sunlight, charitable petroleum exacting Miata additional dimension. The ease of the exterior plan intended you to center on the sleek curvature of the essential forms, taste a typical seem so as to be hypothetical to place the examination of time. While the controls and overall composition now a tad on the simple surface for me, the center was simple to find the way and featured brilliant pallid seats so as to resulted in a bolder look.

Operating the hardtop was a cinch. Basically one button and a few place was all it quick to change the Miata, and petroleum led me to a additional relaxing knowledge at what time beneath the few grey clouds so as to formed on Saturday afternoon.

Time exhausted heavy petroleum car complete up a number of of the the majority fun I had all through my weekend. Shifting from side to side the gears was a pure delight, and the impeccable reply of petroleum car is impressive, to say the least. The ride quality, handling and overall knowledge so as to I had in petroleum Miata discover shortfall ranked in the center of my the majority gratifying, and I sense I won't be unaccompanied in so as to sentiment.

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: I'll by no means twist downward a blast in a Miata, still an overequipped, too-expensive one. It's motionless a joy to drive, motionless affordable. It's refreshing to bound in one each on one occasion in a while.

It's not a rocket, no. But it's quick, construct is dissimilar supposed fast. It scoots as of glow to glow by means of the the majority excellent of 'em, and the gearbox is a pleasure--short and exact throws. The superb balance, the connection in the center of driver, steering and street is in the center of the the majority excellent in the commerce by means of instant reaction to inputs. It's simple to see why so a lot of of as,at the same occasion as are raced. Could it be one of the world's best-handling cars? I consider that's the case.

Prices create at $23,110 for the soft-top. That's anywhere my shopping counting begin. Hard to consider it's additional supposed 20 existence old now.

EDITORIAL INTERN BRAD CONSTANT: Here's a number of significant backdrop in order concerning my bodily stature. I'm a lean and denote six-feet-one-inch tall and 185 pounds (on a high-quality day). I'm not a big man, but I'm not little by any means.

This is my merely issue by means of the 2011 Mazda MX-5: It's not complete for taller folk genuine as me. I become paler as if I was crammed eager on the Miata. I put the seat all the way rear and adjusted the seatback so I had space to labor the pedals. But petroleum put my skull far senior supposed I prefer.

But the information so as to taller populace contain a beef by means of the Miata isn't no substance which new. The Miata is meant to be little and has person's name so as,because it debuted at the Chicago auto demonstrate in 1989. It was intended to be a small, lightweight roadster meant for persons who appreciated negligible automatic complexity and longed for a fun small car.

The Miata hysterics petroleum cast perfectly. As Wes said, the equilibrium and the connection recognized by the intended and the street are outstanding. It responds perfectly and predictably to each intended input, construct is precisely come again? I desire in a small sports education car. The brake pedal is neither too solid nor too soft, the throttle and grasp sense great, the steering is rapid and the shifter throws are fast.

Needless to say, I enjoyed my short stint at the back the wheel of the Miata. The braking was excellent, the corpse revolve was negligible and the handling was superb. On countless occasions I counting downshift throughout braking for a corner, twist in, hit my apex as I hustled the Miata from side to side the twist and get rear on the throttle with no worry. The car remained composed the entire way through.

I was too fortunate sufficient to drive the Miata by means of the top down. This quick absent the big blind spots, construct I establish extremely annoying, shaped by the hardtop. I too conventional a magnificent skull massage since of my build and seat position. Fortunately, I was ready by means of my summer buzz cut, so the wind so as to whipped from side to side my hair didn't place a possibility at charitable me a bad hair day.

But in spite of of my fit, the Miata is an exceptional car. I now desire Mazda might create one so as to was a small bit bigger.

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition

Base Price: $31,720

As-Tested Price: $31,720

Drivetrain: 2.0-liter I4; RWD, six-speed manual

Output: 167 hp @ 7,000 rpm, 140 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 2,593 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 24/26.3 mpg

Options: None



Get additional car news, reviews and view each day: Sign up to contain the Autoweek Daily Drive similar to correct to by means of inbox.

So now you know a little bit about BMW. Even if you don't know everything, you've done something worthwhile: you've expanded your knowledge.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...